Labels

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Take a pause





I had a lot of fun at the Quilt Symposium of Alabama

The first day I took a class, after checking in, with Cindy Blackberg. We quietly hand-stitched.  It was a good way to relax after unloading my car.  On Friday I had a full day with Sally Collins and I fell completely in love with her miniatures!
These little tiny pieces
go at the corners of little tiny wedding ring intersections.
Like so:

She is serious fun to learn from; I think you can tell:
I can't wait to get one of her books!  
Saturday I sat with Pat from Spirited Quilters, and we worked on Mariner's Compass with Brenda Henning of Bear Paw Productions.  We aspire to learn this:
 One of the other students found a good use for her partially completed Compass:
And here is another student's nearly completed Compass:
Lovely! 
The grounds of the Abbey in Cullman are lush and peaceful. The food is wonderful.  I swear my pants shrank two sizes while I was there.  Think of blueberry white chocolate scones for breakfast and prime rib and tiramisu for dinner. Yeah, really, that good!
Next year's teachers were announced:  Peggy Barkle (see previous post here ), Lisa Bongean (see previous posts here and here), Karen Kay Buckley, Pepper Cory, Beth Ferrier, Anne Lullie and Helen Squire. I hope the vacation fairies smile on me again next summer.
I went walk-about with my camera yesterday. At the Ave Maria Grotto I found this whimsical composition:

On a pedestal of sea shells and marbles
and a pretty kitty-kitty.
I leave for Kansas City Tuesday morning early, so I'll have to visit with you again next weekend.

3 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I see you are having a wonderful time and learning lots of new techniques. Enjoy the rest of your trip and have a safe journey.

Debbie

antique quilter said...

wow I love little blocks but well thats even too little for me!
her quilts are amazing I would love to take a class with her.
OH KC wish I was going...will you be going to a few quilt shops as well????
Kathie

Gretchen said...

I think I may have to go to AL next year too! Have a great time in KC. Miss seeing you at Thimbles!