I began working on my next Millie block, and I put the center medallion in the second block. I picked up the wrong block to do as #3 (according to the pattern), but it is okay to go out-of-order. I wasn't sure if I liked the colors I chose, but taking a picture of the blocks on the design wall makes me think they are just fine. The more blocks that get done, the better I like it. This block got a touch of orange. I hadn't really wanted to do that, but it just happened. Two of the "girls" in the applique class are working on a Princess Feather design by "Glorious Color." Take a look; I was blown away when I saw the pattern. I believe I would try fusing on that one. Also, what do they mean "starter fabric pack?" Seems like a lot of money for a kit.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Saturday, February 14, 2009
I worked a little on Millie last night while consuming my Valentine candy. AC did good this year: Spa Sydell certificate and 2 pralines and 4 Godiva white chocolates. I had told him I like white chocolate, so he stayed with white; inside and out. They were kinda boring, plus no benefits like dark chocolate, so I am switching back. Today I worked on the Tula Pink "Nest." I am to the point that I need the dark brown fabric. I am going to Intown Quilts next weekend, so I'll see what they have. I cut out the fabric I decided on for the mystery quilt we are doing in the Atlanta Unity group. I'm getting excited about it, but we don't meet again for a couple of weeks.
Oh, and I would like to add that the spring came off my Martelli rotary cutter. AGAIN...I thought I would mention it, since they will probably be at the Sewing and Quilt Expo next month. The cutter, red, with an ergonomic handle, is wonderful when it stays together, but a terrible danger when the spring comes off (there is no way to close the blade).
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Sunday, February 8, 2009
I am not feeling like I am doing so well on Moda's Tula Pink "Nests." I was using my Singer Featherweight, but I don't think that is the problem. I adjusted and played with everything but the bobbin tension. All of the blocks did this "cupping" thing when I sewed corner squares on the bias, and I don't seem to be able to make the blocks come out as 14 inch squares. So I went ahead and re-measured everything. I may have it okay now. I did 9 blocks to the 10 inch square, and next weekend I will solve the brown fabric problem and add the portions to the blocks to make 14" (I hope). I have posted pictures of the first two blocks that are messed up. I am not sure if I will try to recycle them....
Saturday, February 7, 2009
Sewing on my Featherweight! I just finished winding the bobbin for the first time. Wow, the old bobbin had 5 different threads wound around it. I bought new cotton thread and new Singer needles, so now I am going to go. I am a little (or not so little) tired; I got up at 6 to watch the quilting show I keep hearing about. Yes, we have one of those recording devices (I'm pretty sure), but we have not tried to use it yet. There is seldom anything on TV that I would feel impelled to record. The I went swimming at the gym followed by a 70 minute belly dancing class at a dance studio. A girl I work with began teaching, so I am giving her classes a try. Boy, I am beat!