Labels

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Bulloch Hall's Quilt Show

Two weeks ago I attended the Pearls of Wisdom Great American Cover-Up Quilt Show at Bulloch Hall. There were many wonderful quilts in the show, but I am going to show you my two favorites.
Candy Kisses by Diane Knott.
Diane says "This quilt is based on the "Gypsy Kisses" pattern by Material Obession.  I changed the technique, piecing method and size.  I love the result!"  As do we Diane. Thank you for creating such an impressive visual treat for us to enjoy. (Quote from the show booklet.)
A Million Pieces of Love and Wisdom shown by Evelyn Hardy
Evelyn Hardy says of this piece "My grandmother, Tommie L. Smith, created this quilt in the late 1800's to help keep her five children warm on chilly Elberton, GA winter nights.  The quilt backing was constructed from flour sacks and cloth bags.  Each of the multicolored fabric(s) used for this quilt was folded and hand sewn to make 'petals' that are three dimensional."(Quote also from the show booklet.)
Here is a close up of the foundation fabric:
One reason I was attracted to Million Pieces is that my mother, Linda Brannock, has one block of this design at home, and it is finished in a circle and used on the back of a chair.  I have always been fascinated by its construction.  To see this construction method on a piece so large brought me to my knees with respect for this woman's tenacity.  And she made this work of art and craftsmanship for the most basic reason: to keep her children warm. 
Can you get more personal expressions of love than quilts?

5 comments:

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Those are both beautiful quilts, and I completely agree with you - quilts ARE a very personal expression of love. That Million Pieces es extraordinary. I'm just sitting here with my mouth open.

Kris said...

Those quilts are fabulous! But the truly fascinating one is the folded one done long ago. I love to see quilts that were done before modern conveniences known to today's quilter, were constructed. Just to imagine the hours put into them is mind boggling. Truly wonderful!!!!

oldgreymare said...

I am struck speechless by the Million Pieces and that is never EASY to do!
I have never seen one like this. ..OH MY!
It is just mind boggling and.... (lip sealing lol)
thanks <3
xx
z

WoolenSails said...

That is such an amazing quilt. I guess if we didn't have tv and other distractions, we might make more complicated quilts;)

Debbie

Libby said...

That is the wonder of quilts!